Anyone that knows me knows that I am a list maker. Whenever I am going on a trip, I always have a list of everything that I need to pack. Even with said list I worry that I’m going to forget something but it helps keep me mostly on track.
Anyone that knows me also knows that I am a chronic over-packer. Yes, even when I make a list I pack too much stuff. How? Because these kinds of questions start to go through my head as I pack:
- What if I don’t want to wear that shirt? Better pack several options.
- What if I tragically spill something on my outfit and I have to change? I have to have more clothes if that happens!
- What if I need more “nice” stuff for things that come up that I haven’t planned for? Better pack an extra outfit just in case.
Basically, it ends up boiling down to I don’t love the idea of doing laundry on vacation and I like to have options.
With all that being said, I think I did a pretty good job of NOT overpacking for my trip to California. I still packed more than my mom suggested I pack – she kept telling me I could do laundry. While I know she’s right, I just really don’t like doing laundry on vacation. Leave the chores for when I get home, Mother!
I’m in California for over a week (9 nights, to be exact). In the time that I am here, I have a wedding to go to, my grandmother’s 90th birthday celebration, a trip to Disneyland, and who knows what else my cousin and I will dream up. The weather is also all over the place this week, from highs in the 90s, to tolerable lows in the high 60s. So, I needed variety while making sure the essentials were covered. I had two lists – one for my backpack that I would carry on the plane and one for my checked bag.
- MacBook charger
- Headphones and dongle (I still hate Apple for getting rid of normal headphone jacks)
- iPhone charger
- Apple watch charger
- School notebook (sadly, school doesn’t stop while I’m on vacation, so homework on the plane it is!)
- Pen/pencil box
- Leisure reading book
- Glasses case
- Mickey ears
- Portable battery packs (I won’t make it through Disneyland without them)
- Micro-USB cord (for charging said portable battery packs)
- Car keys (because I need my house key if I want to get in my house when I get home)
- Disney castle t-shirt
- Mickey t-shirt
- Shorts (2-3 pairs)
- Jeans (1 pair…I wore the other pair on the plane)
- Sports bra
- Black bra
- Socks (I said 10 pairs…but I only packed 7 because I’ll be living my best sandal life some days)
- Underwear (x10…just in case)
- Purple dresses (Torrid dress and other purple dress…these are for wedding and birthday celebrations)
- Denim jacket (to go with said dresses)
- Hedwig purse
- Other t-shirts (x6)
- Tank tops (I wear them under my tshirts, don’t judge me)
- Hair ties
- Shaving cream
Even with a list as comprehensive as this, I still feel like I forgot something. It’s a good thing that this is a domestic trip so if I did forget something I don’t have to worry about paying crazy exchange rate prices to get it!